Black is the new white for the colour of your car, according to data produced by automotive body, cap hpi.
Black Is Best
Across a range of different motoring sectors, statistics from the industry’s cap Black Book reveal that drivers are currently favouring black over any other colours or shades, with consumers decidedly going ‘white off’ white cars.
The market analysis paints the following picture when it comes to most popular colours across the different motoring sectors:
- Black is the most popular colour in the convertibles market with 21.5% of overall market sales
- A third (29%) of coupe cabriolets sold are black
- Executive car sector gives black the vote (28%)
- Black also tops the sales chart in the large executive (28%) and luxury executive (24%) sectors
- 22% of the mid-range car market favours black
- 23% of the sports market is geared up for black
- A quarter (25%) of SUV sales leads are for black paintwork
Exceptions to the rule include the city car market sector with the most popular colours being red (18%) followed by white (17%) and black (16%).
MPVs and Superminis
The MPV market favours silver (27%) as does the supermini sector (19%).
Philip Nothard, of cap hpi, commented: “Black is without doubt the new white. White had become the colour of choice over the past few years but black seems to be back with a vengeance. Black represents a safe choice for motorists as, along with silver and grey, these so called safe colours consistently maintain their value when sold as used.”