A new type of crossover designed to shake up the sector, the C4 Cactus is continuing to expand its range with the World Premiere of a new special edition at the Geneva Motor Show. The Citroën C4 Cactus Rip Curl is born from the collaboration between Citroën and Rip Curl, the legendary brand from the world of surfing.
Through the association with Rip Curl – whose name alone has symbolised surfing since 1969 – Citroën is boosting the outdoor spirit of C4 Cactus through the introduction of an even more radical and adventurous version.
Citroën is providing C4 Cactus fans with a special edition that is more technologically advanced, with a higher level of all-road performance. This car is ideal for lifestyles focused on leisure and well-being. This philosophy is totally in tune with Rip Curl, a brand founded in Torquay, Australia, only a few hours’ drive from the mythical Cactus Bay surfing hotspot.
Sharing values such as innovation and creativity, both brands also share a taste for adventure. Rip Curl calls this “The Search”, meaning the search for the perfect wave. Now, the C4 Cactus Rip Curl encourages drivers to hit the road anytime, anywhere. The partnership is perfectly aligned and compliments the launch of Grip Control in the C4 Cactus range.
The Citroën C4 Cactus Rip Curl’s major innovation is enhanced traction. Associated with the more powerful C4 Cactus engines, each mated to a manual gearbox. Citroën’s C4 Cactus Rip Curl Special Edition is the only version to come with Grip Control. The car also features special Mud & Snow tyres to help keep it moving on difficult surfaces.
The Grip Control system provides the benefit of intelligent traction in ‘off-road’ mode. It uses an advanced anti-skid function built into the ESP computer, which manages the traction from the driven front wheels, and has various other modes for different types of terrain. The Grip Control selector, set in the centre of the dashboard, provides access to five operating modes:
- STANDARD: to drive along sun-drenched coast roads, through sweeping mountain bends, long stretches of motorway or trendy city-centre avenues. This mode is intended for usual road conditions and normal driving use. It also lets the Grip Control system adapt automatically to the current state of the road.
- SAND: to help you get as close as you can to the most beautiful surfing spots. This mode keeps you moving on loose ground or sand, and limits the risk of the car getting bogged down.
- OFF-ROAD: allows you to drive safely on all types of slippery surfaces (mud, wet grass, dirt tracks). Acting as a limited-slip differential, this mode transfers the maximum amount of torque to the wheel with the most grip.
- SNOW: to get you to the most beautiful ski resorts. This mode instantly adapts the traction of each driven wheel to the prevailing grip conditions, letting you move calmly and securely on snowy roads.
- ESP OFF: to deactivate the ESP.
Each of the last 4 modes is operational up to a pre-set speed limit and then automatically reverts to ‘Standard’ mode.
The new Citroën C4 Cactus Rip Curl’s increased traction promises a unique driving experience for both drivers and passengers alike, irrespective of the season or destination. It also stands apart from the crowd with its trendy compact SUV looks.