53.3

That is the best mpg rate on the combined cycle of the new Ford Mondeo car, which produces CO2 emissions of 139 g/km.

Because of the fuel economy improvements to the model, people looking to buy a new car who want to save some money on tax could be pleased to note that the Mondeo’s vehicle excise duty band has moved from G to E. This could save a driver £135 over the course of three years.

Fleet director for Ford of Britain Kevin Griffin noted that thanks to the improved fuel efficiency of the vehicle motorists could save up to £658 in fuel – this is based on a cost of £1.14p a litre in comparison with the previous Mondeo model.

He added the two-litre car delivers an "impressive" mpg rate.

Part of the reason for an increase in fuel economy in the model is the implementation of Flexifuel engines, according to the manufacturer. These are made up of 15 per cent unleaded petrol with the other 85 per cent coming from a mixture of bio-ethanol, sourced from wood residues, sugar beet, wheat or crop waste.

However, if people are not able to fill the tank up with bio-ethanol E85 then it is possible to run the vehicle on petrol.

More efficient powertrains and advanced transmissions have also been added to Ford’s new S-MAX and Galaxy motors, as well as the improved Mondeo.

The former is due out in May this year and includes a new two-litre EcoBoost engine, which provides more "power and torque while also delivering lower fuel consumption and CO2 emissions", the manufacturer remarked.

And it is also a more fuel efficient car due to new PowerShift six-speed, double-clutch automatic transmission, which helps to make the driving experience "relaxing" and "fun". Other attention to detail on the model includes LED daytime running lights and rear tail lights.

© Adfero Ltd